Tuesday, February 14, 2012

All You Need is Love.....& Breakfast

Pin It
Brown Butter Cinnamon Waffles
with butter pecan sauce


 Happy Valentines Day!
 I dunno about you but I happen to have the best Valentine for a second year in a row.....my niece Kayleigh.
It's crazy how time flies. Look how incredibly tiny and adorable she was last year on her first Valentines Day


 .........and then now



 She's growing too fast I can't  take it.

Anyways, for all you lovers I hope you and yours truly enjoy this day, and all you anti Valentines day people, I hope you still remember to share a little love today.

Since we are talking about love. There are a few things in life I REALLY love. Such as breakfast. I love breakfast. Enough to eat it for dinner. Remember being a kid and having pancakes and eggs for dinner? It always seemed liked such a treat for some reason. I'm not sure we all would have felt as excited for spaghetti and meatballs for breakfast though. Who knows why breakfast for dinner is so fantastic, lets just accept that it is.

 The reason I say this is because I made these phenomenal, yes phenomenal, waffles for dinner last night. I really wanted something different and since its been way too long since my last waffle I decided to have breakfast for dinner.

I also wanted it to be semi-gourmet. I'm not sure you can call a waffle gourmet, but in my kitchen I can :). So i thought browning the butter and adding some cinnamon and nutmeg would be a great idea. I was right, of course.

These are great topped with some extra cinnamon and a sprinkle of brown sugar or the classic butter and syrup. However as I mentioned I wanted something gourmet. After all I was making this for my Valentines Day post.


 
So gourmet is what I did. Skip the syrup and butter and make a butter pecan sauce. All you need is some pecans, butter, and brown sugar. I added a tad of vanilla and cinnamon.

I  told you these were phenomenal. Get up, get moving and make these for someone phenomenal in your life.



Brown Butter Cinnamon Waffles
Makes about 6-7 waffles                                                                        

Ingredients
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • non stick spray for waffle iron
Butter Pecan Sauce
1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions
  1. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
  2. Continue cooking until the butter turns brown and has a nutty fragrance, about 5 minutes then remove from heat.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  4. Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk and the egg yolks and  together, gently working them into the dry ingredients until just combined.
  5. Add the browned butter and whisk until fully absorbed.
  6. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
  7. Gently fold the whites into the batter in two additions.
  8. Spray the the waffle iron with nonstick spray and cook the waffles according to the manufacturer's instructions.

For Butter Pecan Sauce
  1.  In a medium saucepan toast the chopped pecans for several minutes until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
  2. Add the butter and melt.
  3. Add the brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
  4. Pour atop waffles and fall in love<3!

No comments:

Post a Comment