Thursday, May 24, 2012

Blueberry Oatmeal Bars

Pin It


  
Look at me, back in action and keeping up with my blog posting! Well now that I have somewhat of a schedule and a working computer be prepared for some OUT OF THIS WORLD recipes. Haha not really, but still quite tasty and down right Pinterest worthy right?!

This recipe is one I came up with yesterday morning. I had bought some blueberries and they were extremely plain and almost flavorless. I get it, its a tad too early for blueberries, but I could eat buckets of blueberries so whenever they are sold I can't resist and buy them knowing they are not going to be nearly as delicious and ripe as they should be. If I just wait a few more weeks I can have an endless selection of blueberries at my finger tips, being that I literally live in the blueberry capital of the world.


However, I bought the pint of blueberries. Since I did not want to eat them plain I figured I'd bake something with them. I decided to go with a good old blueberry bar. Its nice and sweet thanks to making a sauce with the blueberries and honey, but also toasty and crunch because of the oatmeal and walnuts.

Mmm mmm. I could eat the whole batch, but I won't. At least I hope I won't.

If you went out and bought blueberries a bit too early don't eat them its not worth it. Make these bars, they are well worth it!

Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
Makes 12-16 bars

Ingredients

For the bars
  • 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, dark or light
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 a teaspoon cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
For the Filling
  • 1 2/3 cups blueberries
  • 3 tablespoons honey, or sugar but I prefer honey
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • A pinch of nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice 
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Line an 8 in square baking dish with parchment paper, or foil with non stick spray.
  3. In a large bowl, mix the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together.
  4. Add the melted butter and mix with a fork until combined and a light crumb forms.
  5. Press half of the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 12 minutes.
  6. While baking the crust; Prepare filling by adding the blueberries, honey, cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon and lemon juice to a medium sauce pan.
  7. Stir ingredients and continue to cook over medium heat until sauce thickens, about 7 minutes.
  8. Pour over crust and top with remaining mixture.
  9. Sprinkle the 1/4 cup of nuts over the top, and bake for about 30 minutes.
  10. Let cook in pan on a wire cooling rack.
  11. Once cool cut into bars and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment