Wednesday, January 25, 2012

On The Lighter and Brighter Side of The Morning

Pin It
Baked Oatmeal
with Bananas and Blueberries


Hello hello! So I know this site is loaded with scrumptious baked goodness but I eat a lot more than just all these sweets. I surprisingly eat quite healthy and enjoy making nutritious meals and snacks. This recipe is a delicious but healthy breakfast loaded with sweet flavor from the blueberries, banana's, honey, and cinnamon.

I am someone who never skips breakfast, ever. I enjoy a huge Belgium Waffle every now and then but for the most part I actually crave a good bowl of oatmeal. I wanted to make it a little more amped up for a change so I decided to try a new way of making my oatmeal, as opposed to throwing it in the microwave.

So I decided to throw it in the oven :).
I have had baked oatmeal at a few breakfast joints before but its so overloaded with cream and sugar that you might as well chow down on those pancakes and syrup. So I decided to make this with out all the loaded fat and sugar. This can be done by just a few simple swaps. Using a natural sweetener like honey, and non fat milk. The rest of the flavor comes naturally from the fruit. I added quite a bit of cinnamon just because I can never have enough cinnamon flavor, but can ya blame me?!

This breakfast is a perfect well rounded meal with healthy carbs, fiber, and vitamins. It's also so delicious you can enjoy this as a snack or dessert.
Enjoy! <3



Baked Oatmeal
with Blueberries and Bananas 
Ingredients
  • 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced into 1/2" pieces
  • 1 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 cup uncooked quick oats
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds, walnuts might work better but I didn't have any
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup fat free milk 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°  & lightly spray a 8 x 8" or 9 x 9"  baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Place the banana slices on the bottom of the baking dish.
  3. Pour half of the blueberries over the bananas with 1/4  of the cinnamon, and 1 tbsp of the honey.
  4. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes, until the bananas get soft.
  5. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the oats, half of nuts, baking powder, remaining cinnamon, and salt and stir together. 
  6. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining honey, milk, egg, and vanilla extract
  7. Remove the dish from the oven and pour the oat mixture over the bananas and blueberries.
  8. Pour the milk mixture over the oats and distribute as evenly as possible over the oats. 
  9. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries and nuts over the the top.
  10. Bake the oatmeal for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the oatmeal has set.
  11. Best served warm from the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment