Monday, February 6, 2012

Movin on up...to the east side

Pin It
Baked Tortellini
with veggie loaded marinara sauce



Hello hello! Long time no blog. Well I was too busy moving and then stranded and disconnected from the world with out cable and Internet. THE HORROR!

 The cable company just decided it wasn't important to show up and get us connected. Anyway, we are all connected now and I am able to be back to blogging.

Since we had to entertain ourselves with out tv and internet, I took the liberty of making my roommate my apprentice in the cupcake world. I figured I'd be doing a lot of baking here and could use the help. She was actually very excited and a great student! We made chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and she picked up the pipping really fast so they also looked great. We have lots left over so I am going to teach her how to make cake pops. Maybe I'll be neighborly and bring them to the family next store, with my business card of course ;).

Being in disconnect gave me lots of time to get out and enjoy my new location. I am only a few blocks from the beach and that is heaven! I have been walking up and down the beach everyday and totally enjoying the wonderful scenery and being active outside in this GLORIOUS weather we've been so lucky with this winter.

<3

I also had some close friends over for dinner last week once everything was settled in. Even though we had to use stools, fold-able chairs, and tray tables because of  our tiny tiny kitchen table, it was such a fun night and I am so thankful for such wonderful friends. On the menu was peppercorn roasted pork loin, balsamic asparagus, and salad (and quite a bit of wine) MMM!

Speaking of MMMM, this recipe is great. You can never go wrong with pasta, especially cheesy baked pasta. This is quick and easy, unless you want to be crazy and make your own sauce like I did (worth it!), and has added healthy bonuses by using  extra veggies in the sauce.

I hope you enjoyed hearing about the move and I hope you make and enjoy this recipe as well.
Check back for some Valentines day treats<3!


Baked Tortellini
w/veggie loaded marinara sauce
  • 1 9oz package frozen cheese tortellini
  • 1 recipe for homemade vegetable marinara (recipe follows)
  • -OR-
  • 1 jar of vegetable pasta/marinara sauce (reccommend Giada De Larentis; available at Target)
  • 1 box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozeralla (you can add more)
  • 1/4 tbs orgeano
  • 1/4 tbs garlic powder



Directions
  1. Pre-boil the tortellini as directed on package.
  2. Drain and set aside.
  3. Preheat oven to 350.
  4. In a large bowl stir together tortellini, sauce, and defrosted spinach and pour into baking dish.
  5. Cover the top with shredded mozerella and sprinkle with oregano and garlic.
  6. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.  

Veggie Loaded Marinara Sauce   
  • I made the recipe from this blog, it was AMAZING! The wine enhances the flavor and the dash of sugar actually does balance out the sauce

2 comments:

  1. that's one I will definitely make when Ally comes for dinner next...probably will use Traders Joes Tuscano marinara sauce..quicker but very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish for both of those, ally to come visit and a trader joes lol!

    ReplyDelete