Grilled Buffalo Chicken Pizza
|I'm sorry for this horrid picture but it was dark and all I had was my phone.|
It tasted phenomenal regardless of how it looks in the picture.
Hello Hello! We all know its football season and that means bbq's and parties all with food and beer. So I have for you a perfect pizza for game day!
A buffalo chicken pizza on a whole wheat crust with homemade blue cheese sauce.
Who doesn't love buffalo chicken anything?! I love making buffalo chicken dip yet I rarely do because its just too dangerous to have in my house. I WILL eat the whole thing. I have yet to learn self control so its been a while since I have made that delicious dip, but I still wanted something buffalo. Something nice and spicy. I thought about buffalo chicken chili but I really love making pizza so I decided to create my own version of buffalo chicken pizza.
I used a blue cheese sauce for the base then layered it with ground chicken tossed in buffalo sauce, thin slices of red onion, mozzarella, and lots of crumbled blue cheese. MMM MMM MMM!
It is way better than any take out pizza and just goes great with a beer!
Don't be lame and order out, be cool and make your own! :)
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Blue Cheese Sauce (optional, store bought works great too)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) crumbled blue cheese
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream and milk in small bowl and mix until smooth.
- Stir in vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic powder until well blended.
- Fold in cheese.
- Transfer to container with tight-fitting lid. Chill until serving time.
- Stir well before serving.
Homemade or store bought whole wheat pizza dough.
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb ground chicken
3/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Buffalo sauce
1/2 cup Blue Cheese dressing
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/2 a medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat grill with medium high heat. You want the grill pretty hot so the oiled dough wont stick. (IF COOKING IN OVEN: Preheat to 425 degrees)
- In a medium or large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat for just a minute before adding ground chicken.
- Cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes until chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour hot sauce over chicken and stir to coat evenly. Remove from heat. **Steps 2-5 can be done ahead of time**
- On a flour surface knead the pizza dough for a minute and then flatten with hands.
- Roll or toss (if you are that skilled) dough out to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in thickness. Oil the face up side of the dough and transfer to the preheated grill with the oiled side down. (IF COOKING IN OVEN: lightly oil a cookie sheet, or use a preheated pizza stone, and press dough into the pan following with the toppings and cook 18-20 minutes)
- Close the grill lid and let dough cook for 3-5 minutes, then oil the top of the dough again and carefully flip the dough.
- Spread a thin layer of the blue cheese dressing over the crust and top with chicken and red onion.Sprinkle mozzarella to top the pizza. Finish with as much crumbled blue cheese you as you prefer.
- Close the lid and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes until dough is cooked and slightly crisp and cheese is melted..
- Serve with extra blue cheese dressing and dig in!