Saturday, March 17, 2012

Luck of the Irish

Pin It
White Chocolate Irish Potato Candy


Everyone getting ready for this weekend's extravaganza to celebrate the good ol' St.Patrick?! Well if not grab a big old cup of coffee, top it with some Bailey's and whip up a batch of these little nibblets of goodness. Yes I said nibblets.
Irish Potatoes are a almost like a coconut truffle and despite their
name they were not created in Ireland and they do not contain any potato. They are super sweet but not too sweet thanks to the cinnamon they are rolled in.

If you aren't a fan of coconut they defiantly have an acquired taste. However if you enjoy a good coconut treat then these are great.

I always try to doctor a recipe to make it my own or experiment to change the flavor in almost every recipe I try. I did just that with these. I had been following my Mom's recipe for years, which is exactly the same as every other recipe out there. I had a little bit of white chocolate left and decided to melt that into the mixture. I also added a dash of nutmeg to the cinnamon coating.

Well, I must say I am quite amazed at how wonderful they tasted with these additions. I was never a huge fan of these and could only just one, if that. Yet I found myself eating one after the other. The white chocolate, cream cheese, and coconut just blend beautifully together.
I even made them into a cupcake. You'll have to wait for that recipe. So for now I hope you enjoy these!

White Chocolate Irish Potato Candy

Ingredients
  • 2-3 oz white chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 package cream cheese (4 oz)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
  • 1 small bowl filled with brown cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions
  1. In large mixing bowl beat together cream cheese and butter until combined.
  2. Add melted white chocolate, mix until combined. Followed by the vanilla.
  3. Using a sifter gradually add the powdered sugar.
  4. Add the coconut and set in fridge for 10-15. This will make it easy to roll into balls.
  5. Remove from the fridge and form small balls at the size of your liking and roll in the cinnamon and nutmeg mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment