Monday, August 15, 2011

Fro Yo, Fo Sho!

Pin It
Frozen Yogurt Cake
with honey cinnamon blueberry sauce

So I had this idea in my head for over a week now and I am excited to finally share it!
It all started when I bought the new cookies from Nabisco. The Newtons Fruit Thins. They sounded amazing! Blueberry and brown sugar crunchy, sweet cookies. Sounds delicious right?!
Well they weren't horrible but I did not get the taste I was hoping for and did't see myself eating them by themselves. Perhaps they were and acquired taste but I did not take the time to figure it out and a cookie should not even have to be an acquired taste, I mean its a cookie.

 I thought hmmmmm these would be great as a cheesecake crust! But, I have been on a frozen yogurt kick big time( I REALLLLLYYY want a good ice cream/frozen yogurt maker for my birthday, lol) and was wondering if I could make a frozen yogurt pie type thing with some blueberries mixed it. Then as the days went on I came up with this and finally got around to make it!

It is super sweet and somewhat healthy. I mean the cookies are made with whole grain ya know lol. But I did use lower fat fro yo and in the blueberry sauce using a natural sweetener like honey instead of sugar is much better because your body can process it more easily than refined sugars. Anyways, enough with the health lesson and onto the recipe!

I called this a cake because I didn't know what else to call it. I could have made it in a pie dish and built the crust up the sides or in a spring form pan but for some reason I went with a cake pan. Either way it came out wonderful! Hope you enjoy it too!
.....gone

For the crust:
8 or 9 Newtons Blueberry Brown Sugar Fruit thins/
   *or 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter

For the Sauce:
1pint blueberries
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Fro' yo':
 Which ever store bought vanilla frozen yogurt you prefer
 I LOVE Edy's Vanilla Yogurt blends
 Or if your lucky with a ice cream machine, go ahead and make your own!

Preheat oven to 350.
In food processor, pulse cookies until they are a fine crumb.
Pour in melted butter and pulse until few clumps form.
Press firmly into 6inch cake pan, and bake for about 10 minutes.
Let cool.

Empty blueberries into large pot and mash slightly.
Pour in honey, cinnamon, vanilla, and lemon juice.
Bring to a boil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Sauce will thicken, however if it is still thin super thin continue to boil a minute or two longer.

Assembly:
Let frozen yogurt soften slightly and spread layer over cookie crust.
Pour half of the COOLED blueberry sauce over frozen yogurt layer.
Place in the freezer to firm, about 10-15 minutes.
Repeat steps and place back in freezer, covered with cling wrap(do not press into blueberry sauce, just pull tightly over cake pan so that crystals do not form on top of cake)

Cut into slices or just go on and dig in with a spoon and you dont have to share it :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment