Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Things are getting a bit nutty....

Pin It
Nutella Pizzelle Sandwich Cookies

Nutella. Enough said. These cookies are highly addicting, seriously. You might think because they are big you are only going to eat one, not gunna happen. Let this be your warning :).  I randomly picked up some nutella at the supermarket the other day. I never buy nutella and I'm not sure what made me do it because I am one of those who just never got the whole "OMG NUTELLA" thing. I always thought it was ok just never did much for me, therefore I never bought it. But something on that day made me buy it lol.
I was originally thinking of making cupcake icing with them but was in a cookie mood and came up with these. I received a pizzelle maker for Christmas and believe it not had not used it yet. So I thought... "Hmmm pizzelles sounds fantastic. Pizzelles with nutella sound even better. Chocolate pizzelles with nutella sound even better yet. Chocolate pizzelle sandwich cookies with nutella and chopped hazelnuts sounds like a prize winner cookie, at least in my book."

look amazing right?!
Ahaha, that is exactly how my thought process went before I made these cookies. So I got right on it and made a simple pizzelle batter with some cocoa powder added in. I also added more vanilla than it called for because, well no reason really. I just thought it could use more.
After making the pizzelles I let them cool while I chopped the hazelnuts and mixed them into the nutella. Once cooled I basically just carefully assembled sandwiches out of the cookies. You cannot press too hard or they will crack, but hey they are still edible!


I also varied the amount of filling in some cookies to see which is best. Personally I enjoyed a thinner layer of the nutella and hazelnuts than a really think one. The fuller one might look a little better because it is less flat and you can see the filling from the side, but i thought it was bit much when eating, up to you.


The Goods:

Chocolate Pizzelle:
adapted from King Arthur Flour

  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional, will only enhance chocolate flavor)
  • 3/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 2/3 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
1) Beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla, espresso powder, and salt till smooth.

2) Add the cocoa and baking powder, beating till smooth.

3) Add the flour, mixing till well combined. Add the melted butter, again mixing till well combined.

4) Bake pizzelle according to your pizzelle iron instructions.
       I used a tablespoon full and scrapped it onto pizzelle iron with another spoon.

Nutella Filling

1/2 cup nutella
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
(both these amounts can be adjusted to your liking)

1)Mix both ingredients until combined.

Assemble:
  1) Once cookies have cooled spread thin (or thick lol) layer over on side of the cookie.
  2) Top with another cookie, gently pressing down.
  3) Continue until all are assembled.
  4) Try not to eat them all.
  5) Don't tell your friends you made them, more for you :) lol

No comments:

Post a Comment