Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Quarter of a century calls for a celebration!

Pin It
Cupcake Poppers



LOVE THESE! I have a feeling these are going to be made quite a bit in the future. I am super excited about getting really creative with them. Using crazy colors and fancy flavors! I have already been making a list of flavors and colors I can make. Ok anyways, now that you know how excited I am about these let me tell you a bit more about these awesome little treats.
 Last week I crossed the bridge from 24-25, 25 CRAZY! I don't feel  25, I'm not really sure what it should feel like, but I feel happy and excited for what my next 25 years will bring (hopefully lots of cupcake poppers!) I have had an amazing past few years.

 From volunteering in Costa Rica w/my best buddy Morgan


Exploring the Caribbean




Working on a Game Reserve in South Africa
                              

Taking an Acrobat Class


Backpacking around California









Bouncing around Europe




Completing my first mud  run


haha yes i stole this picture
...& welcoming my oh so BEAUTIFUL niece

                                   

                                            
I am seriously so thankful to of had the opportunities I've had, the friends I have, and mi familia! Ok getting carried away again. On to the poppers!

Well in the spirit of my day of birth I was having a small bonfire to celebrate and wanted to originally make a cake. But then I thought hmm I have got to get kicking on my cupcake recipes. So cupcakes it was, until I saw these crazy little creations online. I was super excited about making these because they are perfect to just set out at parties for people to grab one, or several. No need to set out the cake and cut it or worry about making enough cupcakes. These are just great! You can literally just pop one in your mouth.

These are made by simply baking mini cupcakes, cutting the tops off, and sandwiching them between icing. I felt bad wasting the bottoms so I used those too. They weren't as "popper" like because they weren't round, but still looked great. I also used some as mini-mini cupcakes. Just topping with swirled icing. You could crumble up the batter and find a good recipe for cake pops too with the left overs.

I made these simple with a vanilla cake base and vanilla buttercream filling. I also pressed round sprinkles into the tops. This was not my original plan.

I tried to separate the batter into different bowls and add different colors to each. I was using an all natural gel food coloring which i never used before. Well I guess I just didn't use enough and they all mostly came out the same color as the original cake batter, oh well. lol I thought the sprinkles on top looked cute anyways.
Well my 25th birthday was AMAZING and filled with cupcakes, cupcake winery red velvet wine (SOOOO GOOD), bonfires, a hurricane, the beach, the best of company, & an amazing gift from my good friends Mr&Mrs. Martinez....a Cuisinart ice cream maker, AHHHHHHH ice cream recipes to come!

Cupcake Poppers


You can use a box cake mix here
          OR
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
2/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups a.p flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup whole milk
Food coloring of your choice


In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. 
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Vanilla Buttercream:


1 cup  unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
food coloring of choice





  • In a bowl, with a mixer on low speed, beat butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, and the salt until blended. Add milk and vanilla; beat until blended. Add remaining powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating until incorporated. Turn mixer to high speed and beat frosting until fluffy and smooth. ( you can add food coloring is you wish)





  • Directions:
    Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 60 mini muffin cups. Make cake batter as directed on box, or as directed above.


    Divide batter among 5 small bowls, about 3/4 cup each. Make 5 different colors of batter by adding 1/4 teaspoon food color to each bowl; blend well.

    Fill each muffin cup with 1 level measuring tablespoon batter, making 12 cupcakes of each color.

    Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely, about 10 minutes


    Assemble each popper using 2 mini cupcakes. Cut tops off each cupcake horizontally (save bottoms for another use/make more poppers). Spread or pipe about 1 tablespoon frosting on cut side of 1 cupcake top. Form a sandwich by placing cut side of second cupcake top on frosting; press lightly. Repeat with remaining cupcake tops.


    MMMM, Enjoy!


    mmmm perfect shot and chaser pair!
    


    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment