Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Muy Caliente

Pin It
Homemade Salsa Fresca

fresh veggies are absolutely beautiful
Chips are salsa are my go to food for everything! I can never get enough as a snack, with a meal, or with a delicious margarita! I'm not a huge fan of potato chips but give me some really good tortilla chips and I am a happy girl! I am actually quite the tortilla chip snob. I'm super picky about what brands and types I prefer to eat. However if the salsa is out of this world I could care less about what kind of chip I am dipping into it.

I eat a ton of salsa and love trying new flavors and different brands. I use it in a lot of different ways.
Its a great way to flavor rice, add some zing to chicken, or even on top of an omelet. The possibilities are endless!!!

Ok maybe I am little too excited about that, but what you should be excited about is how easy it is to make your own fresh salsa. This is defiantly not your mamma's jarred salsa. It is light and fresh with a great kick to it!

You should go ahead and make this next time you have some friends over. Once they try it they are going to say, "MMMMM this salsa is phenomenal, where did you get it?!"
You can simply reply, "Oh I just whipped that up before you got here."
Trust me they will be surprised. Not only because it tastes great but because most people don't usually think to make their own salsa. So it will be a tasty surprise!

Salsa Fresca
Makes about 2 cups.                                                            

2 large fresh ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 large onion, peeled and minced (i prefer red onion)
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1  jalapeƱo pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or half of one line
Salt and freshly ground pepper.

  • Combine all ingredients, taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
  • Let the flavors marry for 15 minutes or so before serving, but serve within a couple of hours.

Try with these tortilla chips, they are my favorite!

1 comment: