Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I Scream. You Scream. For my homemade ice cream!!!

Pin It

Cake Batter Ice Cream


So of course it figures now that I have the beautiful peice of machinery it gets crazy cold outside! I swear it went from summer to fall over night. What happened to our nice transition into cooler weather?! I was meant for warmth I cannot adjust this fast!
Regardless I am just as thrilled to get experimenting with my ice cream maker. So anyone who wants to be my taste tester please let me know! I have lots of ice cream and cupcakes coming up and need tasters because I can only eat so much, although i've learned its A LOT more than I thought I was capable of :).
   
So for my first attempt I really wanted to go all out and make a rich salted caramel ice cream, or strawberry cheesecake ice cream.
 But stopped myself, babysteps.

Instead I did this super simple, 5 ingredient, batch of ice cream.You can compare it Cold Stone Creamery if you must. However my inspirtation came from the flurry I got the other day at the custard stand. It was a cake batter flurry. I had it with vanilla custard and asked for sprinkles to be mixed it. I was picturing chunks of cake batter, I don't know why but I was. I guess I was thinking of brownie or cookie dough chunks. So I asked before I ordered.
Me: "So, the uh, cake batter in the flurry. What is that? Like chunks of cake batter?"
Ice cream girl: " UMMMMM No. Its cake mix added to the ice cream."
Me: "You mean like cake mix from a box?"
Ice cream girl: " Uh, yeah."
Me: "AHHH thats crazy I never would have thought of that! Can I get jimmies in too?!" (obviously way too excited)
Ice cream girl: "Uh if thats what you want." (obviously still annoyed and hating her job)
Well that was my insipiration. It tasted amazing! Although she did go a bit overboard on the cake mix and i literally had a spoonful  of just cake mix when I got to the bottom.
Ok so I  realize I tend to ramble on these posts, so I'll just move on to the recipe!
Oh! I also got super corny and scooped some ice cream into paper lined cupcake tins and put it back in the freezer. Just because it was cake batter ice cream and i love cupcakes lol:)



Adapted from Scoopalicious

1 cup half & half (I used whole milk)
3/4 cup sugar 
2 cups heavy cream 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cake mix (I used yellow)

Directions

Whisk the half & half and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla and then stir in cake mix (to avoid lumps sift in). Pour mixture into the freezer bowl and churn as directed by your machine. Remove ice cream from freezer bowl and place into a freezer proof container and freeze for 8-10 hours.


 I read up on some tips after the fact and I am going to try making ice creams in different ways to see which texture I like the best. I didn't freeze the bowl from my ice cream machine, apparently a CRUICIAL step, so I think it just spun around in the bowl for 30 minutes for no reason lol. But it did freeze overnight and still tasted great! So im guessing you can do this without a machine, not sure.
Let me know if you try with or without a machine! Or come over and I will make you some
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment