Saturday, September 24, 2011

No recipe-recipe for cake balls

Pin It
Cookies and Cream Cake Balls
made w/ extra or left over cake

Hopefully you've all seen my post for my Oreo Birthday Cake, because these lil balls are the bite-size love child of that cake and some melted white chocolate. Well actually they are the orphan child who was left behind because they weren't used in the making of that awesome birthday cake, but who is really keeping track?
Anyways. I only made the cake into two layers by cutting one of the cakes in half instead of stacking each whole cake on top of each other. I didn't want to end up with a TON of left over cake that usually sits in the fridge while people have a tiny bit here and there and end up just throwing it out.
THROWING CAKE OUT IS NOT OK.
So i just went ahead and made it much smaller by only using the one cake cut in half and it was the perfect amount. Now what did I do with the other cake you ask?
I made these:


Look amazing right? Well they are.
I stuck with the cookies and cream flavor but you can use and flavor icing and topping you want.
Get crazy and creative, it will be fun.
So first I broke up the cake and crumbled into fine pieces. To do this is kind of stabbed in and swirled it with a fork and butter knife until it looked like so:

Then I scooped a little less than half of a jar of chocolate icing. Again use any flavor you prefer and adjust amount depending on how much cake you have. You need just enough so that when you mix it the crumbs start to form bigger clumps and the whole thing looks moist.

see how it's more clumpy and together now
Now you just form in to like size little balls by rolling them with your palms. I go ahead and dig in but you can use a tablespoon to scoop it out to make it easier to have similar sizes.


I set them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and placed them in the fridge while I crushed two Oreo cookies into tiny pieces and melted my white chocolate. I did this in the microwave with a Pyrex bowl. Set to 50% power or defrost and heat at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until all melted.
There are several ways to go about dunking the cake balls into the melted chocolate. I find it easiest to just set it in and then using a mini rubber spatula gently twirl the cake ball until fully covered in chocolate. Then I use a fork to let the excess drip off when I scoop it out. Then set them on the same lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with cookie crumbs.
Once finished I like to let sit in the fridge for a few minutes to make sure they are all set.
Eat and share now, or save in an air tight container until you just can resist them anymore and dive right in!


If you didn't feel like reading all that:
Left over, or fresh cake crumbled finely.
1 jar of the icing of your choice
1 bag of melt aways of your choice, 16oz of prefer ed chocolate of your choice
A few Oreo cookies

  1. Once cake is crumbled finely mix in enough icing to bring  crumbs together and moisten.
  2. Crush two Oreo cookies in plastic baggie or in mini food processor.
  3. Form into like size balls by rolling with palms. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and set in fridge while preparing chocolate.
  4. Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 second intervals or over a double boiler.
  5. Dip balls into melted chocolate and roll until fully covered. Remove with fork or tooth pick and set on lined cookie. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs and let set.
  6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment