Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It's 5 O'clock Somewhere

Pin It
Margarita Cupcakes
w/tequila lime buttercream

Booze and dessert in one delicious concoction? Sounds great right?
Well they taste even better. They are surprisingly sweet regardless of the tequila and sourness of the lime juice. It all balances nicely and have one too many and you'll be tippin' over drunk! Haha just kidding, but no one is saying you cant chase one with a straight shot of tequila.
.....Ahh I should have went to into sales.


 
I actually made this for my moms co-worker. It was her birthday and I wanted to get super creative and I heard of these a while and had yet to make them. I did my research and found countless different recipes for the cake and icing. I finally mixed a bunch of different recipes together and came up with one which works great.

        I actually used a white cake mix, from a box. It saved a few steps and made it nice and easy. I also used non alcoholic margarita mix in place of the water the cake mix called for and threw in some lime zest. Some recipes mixed the tequila right into the batter but I decided to wait and brush it on after they were baked and cooled to ensure you could definitely taste it. 
                                                                                 
The icing was super easy as well. I just whipped up some ( i lied, i mean a lot of) butter and mixed in powdered sugar. Then added some tequila, and than a little more, and also some lime juice and viola! Piece o' cake...literally :)
I love how I edited this....just sayin
I highly recommend making these. They are delicious and fun and they make you feel like throwing on a sombrero and joining a mariachi band! All kidding aside they are GREAT! The icing is super light and airy with a kick from the tequila, but if you want it to be more firm and a little more sweet just add extra powder sugar. Oh, I also crushed up tiny pretzels and sprinkled them on the outer edge of the icing. To take place of the salt on a margarita glass. Then I  got real cute putting gummy lime candy on top and trimmed down some straws and stuck them in too lol. Both are optional of course :).


 Margarita Cupcakes
w/ tequila lime buttercream

    Cupcakes
1 box white cake mix
3 large egg whites
1 can (10 oz)  frozen non-alcoholic margarita mix, thawed
1 heaping tablespoon lime zest
2 tablespoons Tequila

      Icing
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
2 3/4 cup powder sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons tequila

To make cupcakes:
Fill muffin tin with liners and preheat oven to 325.

With an electric mixer beat cake mix, egg whites, margarita mix on low for about 30 seconds and then on medium for about 2 minutes.

Stir in lime zest.

Fill tins about 2/3's full. I like to use 1/4 cup measuring cup.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Ovens vary so just check after 20 and see if your toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool in tins for at least 5 minutes, on a cooling rack. If removing from tins, continue to cool on cooling rack.

Once cool, brush each cupcake with tequila. I used a little less than 2 tablespoons for all the cupcakes.
  * I also poked the tops with a toothpick a few times*

To make icing:
Cream butter with electric mixer for 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy.

Add powder sugar gradually until all of it is fully incorporated.

Beat in lime juice and tequila.

Decorate as you wish or steal my idea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment