Happy Monday everyone! Hope you all had a lovely weekend :). I had a pretty fantastic weekend. I enjoyed a girls night out with way too much alcohol and dancing, it was blast. Saturday was also pretty great. I went to Philadelphia to watch the Flyers, where we enjoyed the game from a suite. It was unusually FREEZING, but still a great time. And Sunday my newly engaged twin sister and a few friends went wedding dress shopping. It was crazy to see her in wedding dresses but very exciting at the same time! I think she found "the one"!!! We shall see though, its still pretty early to decide.
Anyways I have a bunch of cupcake orders this week (yay!), but I still felt like baking. I wanted something easy and classic so I went with the good old oatmeal cookie. However I decided to amp it up a bit. I toasted the oats to give them a deeper, almost nutty flavor. I also browned the butter, which ALWAYS impresses me. I skipped the raisins and added a little extra sugar to up the sweetness because of the sea salt I sprinkled on top.
Sweet and salty is an under statement for this extremely flavorful cookie. Its more than just sweet and salty. It's rich, toasty, nutty, and warm. Yes i used warm to describe the flavor. But it really is a "warm" cookie. Between the toasted oats, browned butter, and brown sugar it really has layer on layer of flavor that make you feel warm....and happy of course!
This cookie is literally a step above any other, and extremely addicting. You cannot just have one. You have been warned.
These would also be a great cookie for the holiday season coming up (it's November already, how did that happen?!!). Perfect for holiday dinners, parties, or cookie exchanges. Or hey who are we kidding, they are perfect for yourself and just because! I hope you try these, they are well worth the few extra steps.
- 1 3/4 sticks (14 tbsp) butter-I used salted
- 1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour- i used bread flour for a chewier texture
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spread the oats on a parchment lined cookie sheet and toast until lightly browned, stirring every few minutes to prevent from burning.
- Remove and set aside.
- Sift (or whisk) the flour and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until light brown. (It will bubble and foam first then clear up a bit before turning brown very quickly.) Remove from heat and let cool before pouring into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg, then add the oats.
- Then the flour mixture, until well combined.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough on to parchment lined cookie sheets (you can spray with non stick but it may burn the bottoms slightly).
- Sprinkle sea salt on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, cool for 1-2 minutes on cookie sheet before moving to a cooling/wire rack.
Enjoy with a nice big cup of coffee, or cold glass of milk.
You can try to resist the urge to not eat another one, but you will fail miserably. Like I said before, you have been warned on how addicting these are :).