Saturday, October 15, 2011

The perfect way to say thank you!

Pin It
Gourmet Caramel Apples




I know I have been doing quite a bit of pumpkin lately and I was originally planning on posting my pumpkin cupcake recipe because it is a seriously great cupcake. I'd have to rate it in the top 3 for cupcakes I have had/made. Yes its that scrumptious! I sold out both days at the show last weekend. Some people even came on Sunday because their friend's had told them " You just HAVE to go and buy the pumpkin cupcakes, they are the most amazing thing I've ever eaten. Ever."

Really, that's what they said. :)

I'v been wanting to make caramel apples too, in the spirit of fall and the beautiful changing leaves. If you have ever bought one of those hundred dollar gourmet apple's you are in for a treat! You can make at least 4-5 apples (depending on how fancy you get) for the price of just one from those stores.

It takes almost no work! Melt the caramel, dip, melt the chocolate, dip, and pick a topping. Done.

My friend Lauren also had a super easy idea and did a deconstructed caramel apple, check out!

OH! I should tell you that I made these as a thank you gift for a great friend of mine, Katie. She lives in Boston and was letting my friend and I crash at her place while visiting the city for the weekend. I met Katie in Costa Rica. She was "bunk-mate" while we worked on a volunteer program through Cross Cultural Solutions a few years back. She was a blast and we had so much fun, but I had not seen her since we left Costa Rica. So not only was it great to see Boston, but even better to get to see her again.

So these gourmet treats go out to a gourmet friend, lol. Muchas Gracias mi Amiga Katie for sharing your casa!


*TIP*You'll want to use nice & big & juicy granny smith applies. They have the perfect tartness and firmness for this. For the sticks you can use popsicle or lolly pop sticks. Also, keep them in the fridge, they will last longer and taste better.

Ingredients
  • 6 large apples
  • 6 popscicle or lolly pop sticks
  • Large cookie sheet
  • Wax/parchment paper
  • Vegetable cooking spray
  • 14-oz. bag caramel candies
  • 2 tbsp. water or milk
  • 10 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
    2oz shortening, or butter
  • other toppings such as; white chocolate chips(melted), nuts, crushed graham crackers, crushed cookies, candy pieces, peanutbutter, peanutbuttter chips, etc.


Directions

  1. Wash the apples thoroughly. Dry them and remove the stems. Insert one sticks into the end of each apple where the stem was removed.
  2. Cover a large cookie sheet with wax paper. Spray the paper lightly with vegetable cooking spray to coat.
  3. Pour your choice of toppings into a bowl and set aside.
  4. Remove the plastic wrappers from the caramel candies and combine them with 2 tbsp water in a small sauce pan. Turn stove to medium-low and stir until caramel is completely melted and smooth.
  5. Remove the pan from the heat and set on a flat surface near the cookie sheet.
  6. Dip one apple at a time into the caramel.
  7. Use a spoon to coat all sides of the apple and allow any excess caramel to drip off into the pan. Or tilt apple and roll.
  8. Set apples on cookie sheet and set in freezer while melting chocolate, but for at least 10 minutes.
  9. In large microwave safe bowl, melt the semi-sweet chips and shortening in microwave. Stirring everyone 30 seconds to prevent from burning. 
  10. Dip apples into chocolate and then in desired topping.
  11.      *Instead I didn't not dip into a topping but melted white chocolate and peanut butter chips and drizzled all over once chocolate was set*
  12. Continue until all apples have been coated. Place the gourmet caramel apples in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
  13. I wrapped mine in clear plastic candy bags and tied with a bow. Its best to keep them in an air tight container or wrapped up.


I also recommend having a practice/ spare apple. I did this and practiced how i was doing to dip and decorate. It looked a hot mess but my mom thought it tasted just fantastic lol. 




No comments:

Post a Comment