Sunday, October 2, 2011

Snickerdoodles

Pin It
Snickerdoodles

Hey hey!!! This post goes out to two friends of mine who LOVE these delectable cookies, but then again who doesn't right?! I was excited to have a blog request not only because I also have quite a love of snickerdoodles, but that it turns out I am not the only one reading this! (yay!!! lol)
 There are quite a few recipes out there that vary slightly, however for as long as I can remember making these I have made them but simply adjusting a sugar cookie base and adding cinnamon(A LOT-I like extra cinnamon) and a little nutmeg.
Many recipes call for the addition of cream of tartar. This creates a fluffier and chewier texture to the cookie, unlike with out which the cookies are still soft but have more of a crunchy outside.
I was going to make both and have a taste test so I could give you my opinion on each but, hey its the weekend, who has time for that?! lol
I really enjoy the way I have always made them and still find them quite addicting, so for now there is no need to change. I will get around to the other recipe though, just out of curiosity.
You could also get super easy and buy pre-made sugar cookie dough and form into balls then roll them into a cinnamon and sugar mixture. It will be the same concept of a snickerdoodle with out all the making of the dough.
These cookies are delicious and it is hard not to love them! They have that great soft texture but a nice crunch because of the sugar and cinnamon on the outside of the cookie. They smell amazing while they are baking and just remind me of the holidays for some reason. I'm assuming its the smell of cinnamon. Well I hope you try my version of Snickerdooldes, ENJOY!

Snickerdoodles, recipe by me :)

 makes about 40 cookies                                                         

Cookie dough:
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs

Cinnamon Sugar Mix
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
  3. In separate bowl beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy- about 3 minutes. 
  4. Add eggs one at a time.
  5. Reduce speed to low gradually adding in flour mixture.
  6. Stir together cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl.
  7. Form dough into balls (to make 20 cookies-make each ball about 1in -1 1/4in), then roll in cinnamon sugar. Space 3 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, to prevent from sticking.(I don't recommend using non-stick spray, it could burn the bottoms.)
  8. Using a round cup press the bottom of the cup gently down on the cookie to flatten slightly.
  9. Bake cookies 10-12 minutes. Then let sit on cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes before cooling on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment