Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloweenie!!!!

Pin It
Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip Whooppie Pie's
w/ Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling

look at the lil devil! he wasn't loving the costume

Happy Halloween! Who doesn't love this holiday?! Seriously I don't know anyone, and if they don't well then they have yet to overdose on candy, wear as little clothes as possible and call it a costume, or be scared out of their pants. They just don't know what they are missing. And how can you hate those classic "Horror" films? I cannot get enough of them.

So in spirit of this haunted holiday I wanted to make something that would be just as great as any piece of trick or treating candy. I found this recipe over at one of my favorite blogs, SugarPlum, and made them literally right after I read the post. I have to admit I lost a few whoopie pies because I didn't remember to spray the cookie sheet with non stick spray, so I lost about 4 whoppie pies but I still ended up with about 10 even though her recipe said I would only get ten whoppie pies total.

I bet you if Micheal Myers showed up to my door I could distract him with these. We could both sit down with a big glass of milk and our whoopie pies and watch the endless marathon of Halloween movies.

If you are at home handing out Halloween Candy to Trick-or-Treater's these are also a great snack for you. It will keep you from eating straight from the candy bowl :).

Anyways these are delicious. Super light and fluffy with a delicious sweet filling with a great hint of cinnamon. And again, my sister still has my camera so since I'm cool now and have an IPhone I downloaded a pretty cool app that lets me edit my pictures to look all vintage-ie.

Enjoy!

Ingredients

Whoopie Pies
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 oz dark chocolate, chopped finely (optional)

Pumpkin Filling
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees and spray cookie sheets with non stick spray.
  2. Using a sharp serrated knife finely chop the dark chocolate.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat together butter and sugar until creamy.
  4. Add in egg, buttermilk and vanilla until combined.
  5. Add in the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.
  6. Reduce mixer speed to low; beat in flour until just combined.
  7. Fold in chopped dark chocolate.
  8.  Drop rounded spoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheets.
  9. Bake 8 minutes or until set and slightly crisp and cool 2 minutes before transferring cookies to cooling racks.  
Pumpkin Filling:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter, pumpkin, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until well combined and creamy.
  2. Fill cookies with pumpkin filling by spooning filling onto the bottom side of one cookie and topping with another pressing down slightly.

isn't she the absolute most adorable trick or treater, ever?!


No comments:

Post a Comment